Re: Antigen found =*.pif file

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 11:22:55AM +0100, Carlos Sousa wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Apr 2002 12:19:45 +1000
> Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> wrote:
> > The reason is so the you can type mail <username> and have it end up
> > at the right place. i.e. you don't need to know the mail domain to
> > send a mail to the local user.
>
> In that case, the mail message should *never* leave the local domain.

And if the target user has a .forward file? Are you suggesting the mailer
bounce the message instead?

> > They also fix the from address so that if the message is
> > forwarded offsite, the reply still makes it.
>
> Still makes it where? In my case, the message originated in a
> university in the US, but the MTA there didn't add its domain. Then it
> appeared in my mailbox as coming from my ISP's domain, so if I reply to
> it, it'll get nowhere near its original sender.

So the bug lies with the original transmitter, not with the receiving
mailer. And what have you lost? If it hadn't been fixed, any reply would
still not have arrived near its original sender.

> I agree this *has* to be a bug. Relaying MTAs should not take over
> important mail headers, that's dangerously close to mail forgery...

If the headers had been correct, they would not have been changed. I think
the millions of messages where this is the correct behaviour far outweigh
the half a dozen messages a year where it is wrong.

Anyway, exim does have the behaviour you're looking for. What mailer does
your ISP use?