Re: sid: libc6-2.2.5-4 kills vmware workstation 3.0

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 09:43:22AM -0400, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> If there are only proprietary programs that do a specific job, and it
> is desired to have a free program for this job, then we are forced to
> reinvent the wheel by the proprietary programs licenses.

Forced to by whom? By Jeroen, RMS and you? If there is the proprietary
program available I can still choose if I am willing to pay for it
or if I am willing to put in the efforts to build something similar.

> > Even RMS used
> > commercial software when the GNU software for it was not yet written.
>
> You mean proprietary software.  There is no conflict between the GPL

Yeah, right, I knew this would come up. I am just short of synonyms for
proprietary and I did not want to repeat a word all the time since that
is bad style at least in german.

> and commerciality (even if Microsoft is trying to implant another
> opinion in people's mind).  And yes, he did so because this was the
> fastest way to achieve the goal of an entirely free operating system.
> This goal has by now been achieved.  You will not find RMS using vmware
> for pure convenience.

Okay, right, bad parable. But I am allowed to be a worse guy than RMS,
trying to have a real life as well and trying to get the job done. Neither
you nor Jeroen will take that away.

Thanks

	Torsten