Re: Home Networking

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 06:32, Jon Eisenstein wrote:
> I'm trying to set up my Debian machine as a gateway to the outside network,
> with (for now) one windows machine going through it via a hub (Linksys
> router). I've followed instructions for both Debian and Redhat to set it up,
> but after I followed all the instructions, restart networking on Linux and
> restart the machine on windows (both with dhcp and assigned address), I get
> no ping from windows to the linux IP. Is there somebody who can help me out
> with this, to find out where my problem is? I'll send files or whatever
> other information there is, just name it if you can help. I want to make it
> clear that I tried for a few days with no success, and am now making a plea
> to the Debian community.

This is a question for debian-user, not debian-devel. Posting first as
html, then plaintext does not improve your karma ;-)

I use the ipmasq package (but not dhcp) on the firewall, run linux, hurd
and win2000 on my desktop. The setup requred on win2000 was (if I
remember correct) just to set the assigned ip-number somewhere in the
control panel. If the network setup for windows is wrong, you can try to
contact microsoft support. The firewall does not have to know anything
about if you boot debian or mswindows on your desktop.

Tom Cato Amundsen <tca@gnu.org>
GNU Solfege - free eartraining, http://www.gnu.org/software/solfege/