Re: sid: libc6-2.2.5-4 kills vmware workstation 3.0

Hi Donald,

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 07:54:54PM -0500, Donald J Bindner wrote:
> Well, I didn't expect to inspire such a vibrant thread!  A couple
> of responses (not in anger, just adding some perspective).
>
> 1) free vs. non-free alternatives
>
> I use VMWare 2.0.  If you think that bochs and Plex86 aren't
> viable alternatives yet, you can imagine the state of the world
> (2 years ago today) when I bought my license.  At that time
> VMWare was being praised for bringing Linux into places where it
> never before existed.

You are not the only one. During an internship we were using VMware
all the time to test install a Linux product and to run proprietary
software where needed (people tend to send MS Office attachments, arg).

> becomes viable.  When I can start Plex86, drop in a Windows NT
> install disk (or any other OS for that matter) and install a
> system from scratch, I will be pleased to do it.  I am in the end
> a free software zealot.

The problem with plex86 is that it is not that urgently needed. I can
live without VMware and plex86 because everything I need is available
on Linux. Maybe that's the reason why plex86 does not drag more developers.

> 2) posting to ddevel
>
> I posted to ddevel for a few reason (perhaps in error, and I'm
> willing to concede that).
>
>  - I read the list, and I have for a long time (so I don't
>    actually need to be Cc:ed).
>
>  - I was continuing a previous thread.  The level seemed to
>    be of a technical nature and relevant to the list.
>
> My question wasn't really of the "user" variety (how do I
> configure a fire wall, how do ... in dselect, etc.).

I agree to this. For a technical skilled person it is bothersome to post
to some -user list. Most of the time you get silly replies which you
already know. Sometimes you feel like calling the support hotline of your
hardware supplier ;)

> BTW, the fix was right on and I have passed it on to two
> colleagues who are also Debian users.  I do appreciate the help

Thanks for not resenting because of the answers you got. Debian should
be glad to have users like you...

Greetings

	Torsten