Re: Please see the GNU FDL discussion on debian-legal

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 02:51:27PM -0400, Thomas Hood wrote:
> Richard Braakman wrote:
> > What you're advocating is the evil twin of censorship,
> > namely forced speech.
>
> I don't think that placing restrictions on an otherwise
> completely liberal license amounts to using any kind of
> "force", but that's mere semantics I suppose.

For what it's worth, I don't think I'm stretching the definition
of forced speech any further than you were stretching the definition
of censorship.  We were both talking about voluntary actions that
have no effect on others except to make more copies available than
there were before.

I think that the option to republish only parts of a work is an
important freedom to have, even if exercising that freedom is in
some cases a form of censorship.

> I do agree
> that the various authors of a document may disagree about
> what they want it to contain, and that resolving the
> matter by means of "invariant sections" licenses is not
> to treat documentation in the same way as Debian treats
> software.

In that case, we might be remarkably close to agreement in general.
(Remarkable for this list, that is :-)

Richard Braakman