Re: sid: libc6-2.2.5-4 kills vmware workstation 3.0

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 04:27:04PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Colin Watson wrote:
>
> > > This problem is very common for non-free software.
> >
> > ... which really doesn't seem all that relevant apart from sounding
> > good; hell, the change in nice()'s return value appears to be a problem
> > for start-stop-daemon in dpkg, see #141500, and a minor problem with X,
> > see #140012. The nice() interface *did* change without versioning - it's
> > true that programs that relied on the old behaviour were buggy, but
> > there are plenty of such programs in Debian main and that is something
> > Debian developers should be aware of. Patting ourselves on the back is
> > great when it's justified, but I think it's somewhat counterproductive
> > when it isn't.
>
> So, the change should be backed out.  Why was glibc changed during this
> freeze?

...to bring in other fixes that aren't so easy to seperate from smaller
ones.

Lose the tone, it wont get you what you want. Nice is being fixed. I've
said this in several of the bug reports. This whole thread just needs to
die.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/