Re: The GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL) and /usr/share/common-licenses

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> >>"Dale" == Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
>  Dale> There are an ever growing number of packages that make use of
>  Dale> the GNU Free Documentation License. Isn't it about time to put
>  Dale> a copy of this license into the common reference area?
>
> 	Depends. Would you say that at least 1% of Debian packages use
>  a license before it be deemed ``common''? How many packages use this
>  license, then?

I can't answer any of your questions ;-)

What I do know is:

  1. The GFDL is a published license of the FSF, intended for use by
     documentation.

  2. The documentation provided by gmp-4.0.1 is now GFDL. This indicates a
     move by GNU to use this license more broadly.

  3. I placed my book under this license with the express understanding
     that it was considered free. Now I'm hearing noise that this is a
     non-free license. While I disagree, that is often irrelevant.

  4. If we still have no free documentation license. I'm not sure how we
     can make demands for "good" documentation.

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-