Howto: Be volunteer developer for debian

Hi,

I am a debian user and senior computer engineering student.
First of all I am not sure this is the right place to ask for this,
sorry for disturbing.

Since I am using debian, I want to help developers with developing
debian.. I looked at the web page and it seems that I can't  become a
debian developer since I don't know any debian developers(advocate) I
looked at the packages which needs new maintainers. I couldn't
understand what exactly I should do. For example an ex maintainer says
do these and upload the new package with your name ... ? Where should I
upload ??

So is there anyone who could tell me what can I do and how can I do ?

Thanx a lot

Furkan Fidan