Re: HD Parameters

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 01:05:26PM +1000, David Findlay wrote:
> Would it be possible for debian to detect the correct hard drive parameters
> during install and set things like DMA on by default if the hard drive
> supports it? Similiarly, could you get it to set up SCSI emulation for ATAPI
> drives at install. These two things would make the debian setup much better
> IMHO. Thanks,

Last I checked, the kernel automatically enabled UltraDMA automatically if
your chipset and drive were detected as capable. The only thing I tend to
change is the unmaskirq setting.

As for SCSI emulation, I'm assuming you mean for CD burners as for other
types of drives it doesn't make too much sense. It's an interesting idea. I
don't know if other distributions do it, but if you like it, I'm sure the
boot floppy team will gratefully accept any patches you submit.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/