Re: perl is offensive

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 11:23:15AM -0300, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> In fact, using perl as the System Script Language makes Debian bad for
> tinytiny (real tiny) instalation, such as one-floppy linux, or a box
> with 50Mb of HD.
> But I think that is not the target of Debian anyway...
>
> I agree that uses more CPU cycles than bash, but the gain in time of
> development pays that.

Do you mean perl uses more CPU cycles than bash?  Do you have stats
for that?  When I measured it (a couple of years ago, for Lintian),
perl was way faster than bash, both in startup and execution.  It
only slows down when you use lots of modules.  I don't know at what
point modules start making a difference, that wasn't relevant for
Lintian.

Richard Braakman