Re: perl is offensive

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 10:03:06AM +0100, David N. Welton wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <marcus@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 10:37:30PM +0000, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>
> > > Manoj tells me he has proposed sanitising debian by ridding it of
> > > perl.  This email is to second his proposal.
>
> > I am happy that people got a clue now and will use guile as the
> > system script language.
>
> There are better schemes out there than guile.  Mzscheme comes to
> mind.

As does scheme shell (scsh), or Bigloo.

> And in any case, it will never be a useful language as long as
> their motto is "there is more than one way to do it" - the key
> difference from perl is that they are talking about implementing the
> basic language - there are 10's of scheme interpreters out there, and
> very few *libraries of useful code*.

Well that's Scheme for you ;)  Generally more pragmatic types use Common
Lisp instead, which has a huge standard library.  (Not that all Scheme
programmers aren't practical, see Bigloo or scsh for example).

> BTW, I vote for Tcl or elastiC:-)

Are we trying to replace Perl with something smaller or something better,
or both?

--
; Matthew Danish <mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.