Re: perl is offensive

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 11:31:23AM -0300, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> > Debian Jr. contains python (in junior-programming).
> >
> > Debian Jr. does *not* contain perl.
>
> Leaving the purism beside, is there a real reason to that?

Alas, I should have kept my mouth shut, or perhaps added a tongue-in-cheek
emoticon.  The original post was humour, my repartee was not a serious
indictment of perl, but rather an irreverent quip directed at those who hold
perl sacred and want to corrupt our children with it.

But if you must know, the decision was by consensus among those who
contributed to the discussion leading to the creation of junior-programming.
The discussion included educators, parents, and programmers of various
levels of experience both in programming and teaching.  This group not only
included debian-jr, but drew as well from the experience of the seul-edu
list members, whose business is using Linux in education.

Anyway, for the record, I'm no python bigot.  I do use perl when it is
appropriate for the task.  It just isn't my first choice as a beginner
language.

Ben