Re: about the debian way

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 03:40:45PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 16-Mar-02, 13:47 (CST), christophe barb?
> <christophe.barbe.ml@online.fr> wrote:

> > checksecurity change in the cron package script and before this happen
> > I will loose the benefit of bug fixes and new features if I don't check
> > the diff between my modified conffile and the new one for each upgrade.
>
> Just like all your other modified conffiles. FWIW those four lines
> haven't changed since *at least* 4/99 (when I put them under CVS.)

Interesting (if minor) point that I've found obnoxious to deal with on some
upgrades: things in /etc/cron.d that generate diffs cause *both* to get run
by default. If you're doing a long upgrade, and working with a package that
fires off every 1 (or 5) minutes... this can wreak some interesting forms
of havoc.

(Not that it necessarily applies here, and there are possible solutions to
this; the much-touted UCF seems like a possible candidate. But being aware
of it would be good...)
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/