Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) wrote:
> "Lex Spoon" <lex@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Second, is it acceptible to sanitize offensive programs as they are
> > packaged?  I'm strongly against this one.  I'd like Debian packages to
> > reflect the upstream author's intent as much as possible.
>
> It is the Debian developer's choice.
>
> The developer can choose to alter the package, or not, as he sees
> fit.  You are proposing a serious restriction on developers, and I for
> one would be *most* upset.
>
> Upstream sources do *not* have a right to demand or even expect that
> Debian will do whatever they want, either technically or politically.
> At present, those decisions are nearly always the responsibility of
> the relevant Debian developer, and this is as it should be.

Well I'm glad we had this discussion.  I'm clearly outnumbered, but I
don't know why.  I never said anything about *upstream* demanding
anything of us.  I'm just wondering what we should demand of ourselves.
This is as technical an issue as demanding DFSG compliance, and it seems
moderately important to me: authorship is important in for open source.

-Lex