Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 02:21:20PM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 11:29:45PM +0000, Alan James wrote:
> > Any package maintainer should be responsible enough to remove any material
> > from a package that its users, or those exposed to it, found offensive.
>
> I heartily disagree with this statement.  It leads to censorship
> through taking offense, a most insiduous practice.  Some people are
> just better at taking offense than others; why should they determine
> the limits of public speech?

Yes, I've read the arguments of the anti-censorship camp and I'm now
in agreement. In this case however since neither the maintainer nor the
upsream author could care less whether or not this statement was included,
they've kept everyone happy by simply removing it.

If however some wishes to take a stand (whether I agree or not with them)
then I'm with you in defending their right to do so.

> It's not bitchx.  Please read the logs for the bugreport that spawned

Yeah I've caught up now :-)