Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 03:58:12PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Changing some working simply because you are offended by it is just
> > plain wrong. You are making a decision based solely on your own personal
> > criteria, rather than that of sound technical advice.
>
> I think a Debian developer has a perfectly legitimate right to do
> this.  I'm certainly *not* saying he ought to in any particular case.
>
> There is no rule *anywhere* in Debian that one has some kind of
> obligation to give upstream authors an unlimited soapbox.  Indeed, if
> an upstream author insisted on one, we would regard that as a
> requirement thoroughly incompatible with the DFSG.

If an individual developer feels it's warranted, then by all means, they
can do so. But making it a Debian motto to do such is a bad idea.

Ben

/       Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux    --    WatchGuard.com      \
`          bcollins@debian.org   --   Ben.Collins@watchguard.com           '