Re: Debian joining OASIS?

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 08:15:42PM +0000, Martin WHEELER wrote:
> Debian developer status is restricted to hairy programmer types.

As far as I've been able to tell over the years, that's not strictly
true.  Culturally, I think we have a tendency to place more value on a
person if he's a code wizard, but we have and continue to accept people
into the project for doing unglamourous work like working on the web
site.

There are have certainly been some pretty lousy coders who gained
entrance to our project.  Some proved valuable assets in spite of this
fact, but we've had smart and talented people who joined and then never
did anything (or performed spectacular service and then faded completely
away), as well.

I don't think facility with programming languages is a necessary or
sufficient condition for Debian developer status.  More to the point, I
don't think it has been de facto.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Damnit, we're all going to die;
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    let's die doing something *useful*!