Fwd: #83098 planning to ITP: FireBird 1.0/InterBase 6.0

>From greg@sente.pl Sun Mar 10 10:10:25 2002
From: Grzegorz Prokopski <greg@sente.pl>
To: Debian Bug Tracking System <83098@bugs.debian.org>
Subject: planning to ITP: FireBird 1.0/InterBase 6.0
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 17:11:13 +0100

Package: wnpp
Version: N/A; reported 2002-03-10

A word about what FireBird is. It is completly independent (of IB)
product based of IB 6.0beta code that was released undel MPL-like
license. There's a group of programmers improving and bugfixing this
code since many months.

There have been RFP and ITP of FireBird in the past, but none succeeded
till now (#68406, #83098).
FireBird is moving forward to its 1.0 release - to be expected very soon
now. But it is still not an easy package even if it's binaries are
production ready. Especially for debian there will be much effort to
make debian compliant. That's why I cannot say at this moment that I
really _will_ package it.

(By packaging I don't mean putting binaries together as in alien'ed rpm,
but really packaging it like it should be done).

It has loop dependencies on already running FIB/IB server (!).
It is big.
It has /opt/interbase hardcoded in many places.
It's build system seems to be messy in some places (IMVHO).

I already managed to remove those loop depends - I am able to compile
current CVS version w/o having server installed/running - ONLY from
sources (took me 4 days day to day work to get to this stage - uff...).
I just fixed the way sources are cleaning (now I can finally get a diff
between my debianized sources and original) - and moving further to
altering install scripts.

My plan is to continue work on this package, as I find it very
interesting piece of software. Anyway I cannot promise when I have sth
that can be tested. There's a lot of work to do. There are other
packages closely related to this DB engine that will have to be packaged
too. Here's the URL in case You want to look at the project:
http://firebird.sourceforge.net/

I'll keep You informed about the progress.
If You have any good ideas, advices or comments - I'll gladly read them
and discuss if You want.

BTW: I am not DD yet ;-) but that shouldn't be any problem here.

						Grzegorz Prokopski

-- System Information
Debian Release: 3.0
Architecture: i386
Kernel: Linux greg 2.4.18-p3lvmpe #2 nie sty 13 19:53:59 CET 2002 i586
Locale: LANG=pl_PL.ISO-8859-2, LC_CTYPE=pl_PL

PS: Somebody please tell me how to Cc: the bugreport to debian-devel
using reportbug? It doesn't seem to be possible.