Re: Bug fixes NOT getting from unstable into Woody...

On Sat, 2002-03-09 at 22:14, Matthew Grant wrote:
> I know that there has to be a waiting period before things getting into
> woody, but what we are talking about here are just minor fixes and one
> liners.  They should aalmost immediately go in. If woody is released
> like this, Debian's reputation will definitely suffer.  Are maintainers
> taking care of their stuff in testing? They are just closing the bugs
> once their fix is in unstable, and the issues appear to be going
> unresolved in woody.

The last point is an inadequacy of the Bug system.  It does not allow us
to record the package release at which the bug was fixed.

> Could someone please do something about this if they are not keeping up
> with updating woody, like asking for help, or if it is a policy matter,
> the policy needs looking at.

Maintainers cannot force their packages into testing.  It is possible to
reduce the waiting period to 2 days, provided that there are no other
hindrances, but this is a procedure to use for high urgency fixes, not
minor ones.  The ftp masters cannot judge whether bugfixes in other
people's packages deserve to be shoved through, nor would they have the
time to go through them if they could judge that.

Even a one-line fix can break things, and needs to be subject to some
review before it is allowed into testing.

     "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so
      that in all things at all times, having all that you
      need, you will abound in every good work."
                                  II Corinthians 9:8