Re: Preliminary SDL 1.2.3+cvs packages available

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 07:13:32PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> >toppler (relocation error, related to libmcop.so.0)
>
> Please try 'toppler -s'. This is a sound support issue.  Other games may
> have a similar option.
>
> Next upstream release of toppler seem to fix that.
>
> Also SDL maintainer must check games still build with new libSDL,
> else we are going to release packages that does not build from source.

I have it on reasonably good authority that the SDL maintainer uses his
own packages for SDL development on his host platform.  =)  While I am
sure he would say that he cannot speak for every package on every arch,
any that don't are themselves broken.

That said, no Debian package appears broken as indicated.  Should any be
found, the package will be trivially patched and NMU'd immediately and the
upstream developer slow roasted for ignoring a major commandment:

  Thou shalt not assume the XFree86 extension libraries be part of SDL.

In contrast to "Thou shalt not use SDL_OPENGLBLIT, ever.", people seem to
actually obey this one, but I digress.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>     The guy with a rocket launcher

In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really
good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they actually change
their minds and you never hear that old view from them again.  They really
do it.  It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are
human and change is sometimes painful.  But it happens every day.  I cannot
recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.
        -- Carl Sagan, 1987 CSICOP keynote address