Re: php4 NMU for fixing RC bug

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 06:32:15PM -0500, Luis Bustamante wrote:

> Today I filed an RC bug against php4 about a problem with dependencies
> on pgp4-pgadmin (see #137101). I took a look at the sources and the
> problem was that PostgreSQL support was dropped in a previous version (I
> don't know why, changelog doesn't say anything about it), so the problem
> was because current php4-pgsql is an older version.
> This RC keeps PHP out of woody, so I already prepare an NMU to fix it.
> At the moment I'm not an official Debian developer, I'm waiting for DAM
> approval, so Wilmer van der Gaast <lintux@debian.org) will sponsor the
> upload tomorrow if you consider it appropiate and if in the meantime
> there isn't an upload by the official maintainer.

It is not appropriate.

From http://packages.debian.org/php4-pgsql:

Release  Package (size)
stable   php4-pgsql 4.0.3pl1-0potato2
testing  php4-pgsql 3:4.1-1
unstable php4-pgsql 3:4.1.2-1

You reported a bug against a version of php4-pgsql which is already
outdated; the maintainer already *has* uploaded a fix for the bug you
reported.  In addition, unsatisfiable dependencies in php4-pgsql have NO
bearing on whether PHP gets into woody (which it already is); had you
looked a little more closely, you would have seen that php4-pgsql is a
separate source package in the non-US archive, because of the dependency
on postgresql.  If anything, this would keep the newest postgres package
from entering woody; but it's not likely to do that, either.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer