Re: Closing other packages bugs in Changelog

On 05-Mar-02, 00:12 (CST), Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> wrote:
> I propose that either a check be put in place
> so that packages can not close other packages bugs(*), or have no
> checkin at all, so NMU's close bugs as well.
> [snip]
> Am I missing something?

The reason NMU's mark bugs as fixed rather than closing them is because
we have agreed that only the package maintainer and the bug originator
should close a given bug. The "fixed" tag reminds the maintainer that
he/she needs to roll in the NMU fixes (or provide an alternative fix) to
the main release. So while I agree that it would be nice to have a check
that the changelog "Closes" don't inadvertantly close another package's
bug, I disagree that removing useful functionality from the BTS is a
justified by a claim to consistency.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland