Re: Outside of Debian (Re: Package splitting and upgrades)

* Lex Spoon (lex@cc.gatech.edu) wrote:

> > This is not true at all; it took me about 15 minutes to figure out how
> > to make my own. The infrastructure required for an APT repository is
> > very little (almost nothing, especially if you eschew source packages).
>

> I have no idea how you worked it out in 15 minutes.  It took me
> something like 3-4 hours to put 5 packages plus source into an
> apt-get-able repository.  It's not well documented, and it doesn't
> really make sense to me.

This is the problem I have had as well. As a prospective new developer
(I plan on adopting asd4 and asd4-clients from the wnpp) the
documentation on how to cover a new ITP isn't too bad. However, docs on
the process of adopting orphaned packages is virtually non-existant,
other than section 9.5 of the Developers Guide which says, pick
something on the wnpp.

The developer that will be sponsoring me gave me the hint of:

apt-get source pkgname

to get the new source and debianized tree for the package. Now I can
work with it and change it like it was a new ITP and follow the docs on
building packages. But there is a lot of information for new developers
that I feel is missing.

hmm, any objections by the team for me to update the docs? I am an
accomplished technical writer. I've contributed articles to O'reilly
net, and chapters to books such as Debian Unleashed, Slackware
Unleashed, Caldera Unleashed, and most recently, Linux Firewalls, 2nd
Ed.

    __   _                                           Carl B. Constantine
   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __                          duckwing@duckwing.ca
  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  (2.4.17)              http://www.duckwing.ca
                                            PGP key available on request

  Up the line - out the server- past the firewall - nothing but Net!!