Re: updating /etc/hosts on ifup...

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 10:38:49PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Mark Eichin wrote:
> > actually, I'm not sure one wants to do this as part of ifup at all,
> > but instead *specifically* as a dhcp hook.
>
> Not specially dhcp, you want to be able to use the exact same hook
> for ppp as well.

Yes, all the hooks that are available in Debian now are "physical"
hooks: interface up/down, PCMCIA card inserted/removed, PPP
connection up/down, DHCP lease obtained/lost/changed, etc.  This is
not surprising, since a different package is responsible for each.
But it's still conceptually broken, as far as what most users need.

It would be a huge win if somebody created a system that let you
create hooks for "logical" events, which was integrated with all of
the above "physical" events.

Andrew