Re: Incomplete build depends on binary-all packages

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 05:33:04PM -0500, Bob Hilliard wrote:
> >      I have received a serious bug report against vera for incomplete
> > build depends.
>
> Which IMHO is not serious as in release-critical. The inflated severities
> are an annoying waste of time.

Unfortunately, they are NOT inflated. "serious" is the correct severity for
a bug reporting that a package violates a 'must' rule in Debian policy. And
incorrect build-depends are just that.

What we really need is a way to tag an RC bug as "not to be considered RC,
due to administrative decision of the release manager". And if the
release-manager says so, apply that tag to bugs complaining of broken
arch-indep build-depends.

Since we don't have that functionality, we have to downgrade such bugs to
'important'... if aj says so, or the package maintainer and bug submitter
agree.  But we are not 'undoing' an inflated severity when we do that.

  Henrique Holschuh