Re: A replacement for gnome-sudo (was Re: localeconf package)

On 19 Feb 2002 23:27:04 -0500
Jeff Licquia <licquia@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 23:13, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> > pkgname is 'gksu' (it is on non-us because there are some packages of mine
> > that I must keep in there, so everything goes together, so that I don't need
> > to maintain 2 repositories =P)
> >
> > thanks for the great work on the configlets
>
> If I get a chance, I'll take a look at it soon.
>
> It sounds great, but unless it ships in woody, the configlets won't be
> able to take advantage of it.  We could, perhaps, have some method for
> autodetecting which system is available and using whatever is there, so
> if it shows up post-woody, the configlets could take advantage of it.
sure, I now updated it... it is able to use 'su' and 'sudo', I've tested
it for some time, but as you say, it's new code... (although I am trying
to make it as secureful as possible)

> There's also the question of security.  All new code should be suspect
> by default.  In this case, gnome-sudo doesn't have much of an edge, but
> it does have some.
the bug you reported was closed and I reopened it with me as originator...
I would vote for xsu if I am right about gnome-sudo, it *is* a root-hole
when configured to work, and I bet no one will want to see root holes on
woody and maybe it won't be fixed in time, I suggest you to go on with xsu
for now

[]s!

--
    Gustavo Noronha Silva - kov <http://www.metainfo.org/kov>
| : :'  : + Debian BR.......: <http://debian-br.cipsga.org.br>+
| `. `'`  + Q: "Why did the chicken cross the road?"          +
|   `-    | A: "Upstream's decision." -- hmh                  |