odd web browser problem

I have a very odd webbrowser problem, i manifests in netscape4.7x,
Opera (all versions) and galeon (and i assume mozilla).

Now and again I try to connect to websites, and it will essentially
freze and not return, none of the buttons redraw either.

a trace reports it locking on a select:

	[darke@ishtar:~]strace -p729
	oldselect(9, [8], NULL, NULL, {86321, 480000}

Now, I originally thought it was to do with dns lookups, but
nothing else suffers dns issues or delays.

Now, if this just happened to galeon i would consider it a bug
to report.. but it seems to be something more underlying. Anyone
seen this bother and have any possible solutions? (shy of a total
reinstall from scratch).

The problem is making life hard (even simple things like going
to the debian website or bug site can set it off).
--
Peter 'darkewolf' Crystal
darke@debian.org