Re: sysklogd steps on logrotate's foot

* Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org) [20020127 22:39]:

> Err... why is logrotate touching logfiles "owned" by sysklogd?
> A package must not touch other packages' files.

What I meant was if an administrator of a busy site applies log
rotating policies to logfiles, she wants to use one product to
do the rotation.  So, she customises logrotate.conf according to
her policy, only to find out that sysklogd rotates logs on its
own and blows up log archiving by messing up serial numbers and
compression.

What she'll miss is an easy way of telling sysklogd: "hands off
pal, I will do it myself" with regards to log rotation.

Hand-editing /etc/cron.(daily|weekly)/sysklogd is problematic as
they are registered conffiles; resolving conflicts upon upgrades
is annoying.

Peter

--
 Kelemen Péter     /       \       /       \       /    fuji@debian.org