Re: We should not be just package maintainers to make Debian grow

On 29 Jan 2002 23:00:15 +0100
Paolo Redaelli <paolo.redaelli@libero.it> wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 22:43, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Thank you for your contributions to Debian.  It cannot be stated enough
> > that it takes more than just package maintainers to make Debian work as
> > a distro.
> I think it's really important to weight this sentence very well.
> I'm going to become a debian developer, but beside packaging new program
> there isn't clear evidence of what it's needed to be done.
> We need a "Work_to_do portal", where people write in proposals of work,
> people take the task of doing them.
> Not only packaging.
that's not how things work... we need people to write good documentation,
to create good policies, to implement them, to fix bugs, to care about
their packages...

what I feel when I see a Debian package which doesn't register its documentation
on doc-base is that its maintainer is not doing a good work... even though
it is not in policy yet (its worse when the package is documentation-only...)
the same for icons, menu entries...

we need people to *really* care about the quality of the package, because
that's what's unique in Debian, and that's what I feel we're losing
more and more

what you are proposing is that we have someone telling people what to do
and that won't work in a so huge project

[]s!

--
    Gustavo Noronha Silva - kov <http://www.metainfo.org/kov>
| : :'  : + Debian BR.......: <http://debian-br.cipsga.org.br>+
| `. `'`  + Q: "Why did the chicken cross the road?"          +
|   `-    | A: "Upstream's decision." -- hmh                  |