Re: We should not be just package maintainers to make Debian grow

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 11:00:15PM +0100, Paolo Redaelli wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 22:43, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Thank you for your contributions to Debian.  It cannot be stated enough
> > that it takes more than just package maintainers to make Debian work as
> > a distro.
> I think it's really important to weight this sentence very well.
> I'm going to become a debian developer, but beside packaging new program
> there isn't clear evidence of what it's needed to be done.
> We need a "Work_to_do portal", where people write in proposals of work,
> people take the task of doing them.
> Not only packaging.

http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
http://standard.debian.net/

In addition, there was a recent call for help for people willing to work
on the arm autobuilder, in order to review build logs.

Much of this work -- and /particularly/ the WNPP list of orphaned
packages -- is work that's accessible to non-developers.  And IMHO,
helping reduce the number of unmaintained packages in Debian is at least
as important as adding more packages to the distribution.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer