Re: Retiring from Debian

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002 16:53, Patrick Klee wrote:
> 	First of all, let me introduce myself.  MY name is Patrick Klee and I live
> in Wichita, Kansas in the USA.  I have been using Debian Potato on x86 for
> 6 months, then I decided to upgrade to Sid and I have been hooked on Linux
> ever since.  Recently, my PC died and I bought a mac, and I have Debian Sid
> on PPC, and I love it.

Firstly let me say that I look forward to having you as a member of the
project, it sounds like you've got some useful skills to contribute.  However
it will take some time to get the "paperwork" done to admit you.  It's
probably best if you start out as a sponsored maintainer.  To do that post
here or in debian-mentors giving the details of the package you want to
maintain and (hopefully) some developer will want to sponsor you.

Another thing you can do is start filing bug reports and adding more
information to outstanding bug reports.  There are certainly lots of bugs
that haven't been reported yet, and there are many bugs that have been open
for a long time without resolution.  Filing new good bug reports and adding
more information to existing bug reports to make it easier for the maintainer
to fix them is a good contribution that doesn't require that you become a
developer (or have any special status), so you can start today.

> a chance and I will flourish.  I personally fill a gap now that Adrian is
> leaving, but I would love to meet new people and maybe get some free
> schwag?  ;-) eh...

One thing to note, you didn't need to wait for someone to leave.  There's
always a need for more people.