Re: Spam (Re: Urgent Investment)

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 04:47:38PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 02:24:24AM -0600, Michael Stroucken wrote:
>
> > 	Given that spammers are increasingly targetting mailing lists,

not only to mailing lists - since several weeks I am
experiencing much more spam traffic hitting me.

> > is there an example of a list having effective control measures to combat
> > this?
>
> The only measure that seems to work is restricting list postings to
> subscribers only.  Unfortunately, this is also a major inconvenience for
> those who use the list legitimately.

one mailing list I read did the following: subscribed members  are
allowed to post, anyone who has sent a message there in the past is
also allowed to post there, and any posting from someone new is
rejected, along with a message informing the sender about the list
policy and asking him to resend the mail (within a reasonable time
interval) - and he is added to the list of previous posters, so his
following mails will be acepted.
Given the fact that spammers seldom use the same mail address, it works
quite effectively.

Perhaps something like this could be adopted for debian mailing lists.