Re: debian on distrowatch

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 11:21:47AM +0800, Ladislav Bodnar wrote:
> > Even worse-sounding than the things on distrowatch which are clearly wrong
> > are the breakdown of versions.  Either they do not track our revisions, or
> > I can virtually guarantee that a system purchased today will not be usable
> > with potato.
>
> Would you mind suggesting a better way? The distribution-specific pages on
> DistroWatch simply list some major packages in each release as the releases
> evolved.

No, you misunderstand me.  It's a good thing that you break out the major
packages like that and I do see all the way up to 2.2r5.  Potato looks bad
by comparison to other dists because it IS bad.  That's our problem, not
yours.

The top-ten page has values which do not match the Debian page though.

> The only purpose is reference. Once a new version is released, I add
> it to the table so that visitors can compare it with a previous release and
> see immediately what is new. As for unstable and testing, I keep it updated
> (each day, more or less) because many people run one of those versions. But
> the basic idea is to have a page where people can look at and compare
> packages with a single glance; then make the decision on what they want. The
> Debian page is visited by 100 to 300 people a day, so I think it is pretty
> useful.

It's really a good feature.  Don't change it.  =)

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>             Only l33t on Thursdays

<Coderjoe> gib, perl?
<gib> methinks perl is the programmer's Swiss Army Chainsaw