Re: debian on distrowatch

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 01:04:25PM +0800, Ladislav Bodnar wrote:

> On Sunday 27 January 2002 12:48, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>
> > I understand your intentions, but even with this interpretation, it is
> > incorrect to say that Debian has a central management or decision-making
> > authority in the US.
> >
> > In general, decisions are made by consensus or official vote among
> > developers, so these decisions are truly global in origin.
>
> What about the "origin" in its true meaning? Is Ian Murdock American?

Is that the same meaning used with other distributions, and is it clearly
indicated on the page?  To give visitors the impression that Debian is
currently "based" in the US would do an injustice to the hard-working
developers in other parts of the world.  I don't have any hard numbers, but
I would estimate that there are more developers outside the US than in it.

> I am just trying to put a country to each distro, simply because all other
> distributions have some sort of a base, if you like. But if more people
> disagree with placing USA in the Debian "origin" cell, then I will remove it.

Perhaps a link to:

http://www.debian.org/devel/developers.loc

would be appropriate.

--