Re: mICQ - RFA? Drop?

Sander Smeenk <ssmeenk@freshdot.net> writes:

> I'd like your opinion about one of my pacakges: mICQ ...
> It's a console ICQ client, but it doesn't support the new protocols, nor
> does it support direct connections by TCP. Once mICQ was a very good ICQ
> clone, now it's not worth much in the state it is right now.

Was my favorite ICQ client not too long ago. :-) I have since then
switched to vicq, the client you mentioned. It works just great and I
can recommend it to any micq user.

> So, what do you think. Should I request-adoption of micq?
> Should I drop the package from the Debian project?

I'm not that skilled when it comes to Debian packaging. But it might
be possible to create a "new" micq package that depends on
vicq. Display a message both in the changelog and in the package
description that micq is no longer supported. Maybe there is even a
script to automatically convert the micq configuration to a vicq
configuration. (Should be quite easy to do)

After a month or so the micq package can then be removed.

I'm not sure if this approach would work, what do the others think?

bye,
patrice

--
GPG ID: A5F15976
Key fingerprint: 201D 12D1 F629 1E9B 0BB0  EAF5 3009 AF60 A5F1 5976