Re: Will woody ever become stable?

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 11:47:38AM +0100, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 11:34:09AM +0100, Thimo Neubauer wrote:
> >
> > As the situation is, we either have to wait with woody until gnuplot
> > 4.0 is released (which IMHO might take far too long) or kick gnuplot
> > out of woodys main... *sniff* Could it be possible to reintroduce
> > gnuplot 4.0 into main in a subrelease of woody?
> >

> There is yet a lot of good softwares/documentations in non-free sec.
> What's the problem? All documentations/standards which are not under
> Open Publication License (almost 100%) are there. And nobody complains
> for this.

Three reasons:

1. It weird to have free .debs living in non-free ;) The upstream
   source is the only non-freeness involved here...

2. the licensing problem is minimal, about 50 lines of code normal
   users won't miss at all (I woring on getting my PhD in mathematics
   and I haven't heard of the incomplete beta function in my whole
   studys)

3. upstream will change the situation in the near future. I guess that
   the new upstream release will happen in a couple of months

How about the following compromise: if gnuplot is about the last
package delaying the freeze, move it to non-free, otherwise wait for a
new upstream-release. Would this be ok?

CU
    Thimo

--