Re: Vanishing /usr/doc symlink

Santiago Vila wrote:
> Oops, yes, I meant boot-floppies...
>
> I bet that most users will *not* want /usr/doc full of symlinks,
> that's why I strongly suggest to make a question.

Adding another question to every debian install is Pure Evil. Maybe at
the verbose level.

> BTW: For those who are so clueless that didn't realize yet that docs
> are now in /usr/share/doc, a /usr/doc -> /usr/share/doc symlink should
> be enough, not a /usr/doc fully populated by symlinks, which is a
> little bit absurd.

Well, what if debootstrap or whatever set up a /usr/doc link then? Or
base-files could just as easily do this on a new install.

I don't entirely like this idea, since it means exercising a novel and
fairly untested code-path in every postinst of every package, and I'll
bet some will break. And it means that when we work on removing /usr/doc
entirely in the next release, we will have to worry about getting rid of
this symlink too. Inconsistency^WDifference breeds bugs.

OTOH maybe it's some sort of a compromise.

--
see shy jo