Re: [kde] setting an /opt precedent

Il gio, 2002-01-17 alle 16:34, Eray Ozkural (exa) ha scritto:

> On Thursday 17 January 2002 17:22, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > /opt is for "add-on" software. kde is not an "add-on". we package it as
> > part of the distribution, it's not added on.
>
> That is a wrong reading of standard text.
>
>  /opt -- Add-on application software packages
>
> There is a difference between system and application software. C++ library is
> system software, while a desktop environment like KDE is application
> software. System can continue functioning in the absence of such application
> software that is optional, hence the expression "Add-on".

oh, yeah. lets put about 90% of debian in /opt. <g>

> As stated in section 3.8, distributions can install software in /opt in
> accordance with FHS.
>
> Moreover, this is an established practice as emphasized in FHS standard text.

Debian *does*not*need* yet another place to install packages. lets /opt
untouched for (free or non-free) external packages.

/usr - system vendor, us.
/opt - external vendors
/usr/local - sysadmin

is it that difficult to understand why this layout is optimal?

--
Federico Di Gregorio
INIT.D Developer                                           fog@initd.org