Re: [kde] setting an /opt precedent

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 05:27:22PM +0200, Eray Ozkural (exa) wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I recommend you to read section 3.8 of FHS. Someone who talks so knowingly of
> FHS should take the time to read it, too.

I suggest you take basic comprehension classes.

> On Thursday 17 January 2002 17:22, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > >
> > > Except that, it seems to be in "violation of FHS" to not support reserved
> > > subdirs of /opt intended for local administrator's use, such as /opt/bin
> > > and /opt/lib. They should exist on a default install, and binaries in
> > > /opt/bin should be in $PATH, etc.
> >
> > And binaries in /opt/kde3/bin? And /opt/apache/bin? And ... you get the
> > point. How large do you want $PATH to be? And before you can say
> > "symlink", we can't screw around with /opt/bin, either. And providing
> > one wrapper script for every binary is MESSY, and SUCKS imho. How many
> > KDE binaries are there? The answer is: $toomany.
>
> There are reserved directories, under which the distributions do not touch.
> /opt/bin is one of them, and it's a directory that the local admin manages.
> /opt/bin should be in $PATH I said, and /opt/lib in library search path. I
> said nothing about /opt/<package>/bin if you would care to notice. /opt/bin
> and /opt/<package>/bin serve different purposes.

MY POINT EXACTLY!!

/opt/bin could be in $PATH if you want, but who cares? We CANNOT touch
it! So what's your solution? Put /opt/kde3/bin in $PATH? Imagine how
large $PATH will grow if everyone follows our precedent.

KDE is not that much of a special case.

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>
-Evii- (opnotice/#linux/18@) I hereby vote DanielS as my choice for the new