Re: Will woody ever become stable?

Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > >   gnuplot 100612 grave
> > >   Maintainer: Thimo Neubauer
> > >     Licence problems. We can't do anything until a new upstream release
> > >     is available, as far as I can tell.
> >
> > Is there a problem with releasing with a non-pristine tarball?
> > Deleting the offending files and creating a new .tgz seems to
> > be a better solution than waiting for a new release which might
> > not happen soon.  I rewrote the problematic source file and sent
> > it to the bug in November.
>
> More specifically, what is the license problem with gnuplot?  It's
> one-time author (John Gilmore) is a pretty durn staunch free software
> guy...

Well it has many example files that lacks permission to sell. See the
bug report. Worse though, it turned out one of its source files had the
same problimatic license. Upstream appears to be cooperating (sorta),
but there are delays getting a release from them and they seem to have a
weird policy of not licencing beta code freely or something.

David, is your replacement really a good enough replacement? It's odd
that Thimo hasn't commented it at all in the bug report.

--
see shy jo