Re: Will woody ever become stable?

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 11:32:00AM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> So the criterion for packages being base are 'Allan Jensen expects
> it'?  :-) I'm a little confused, actually, since the copy I have here
> at work (potato machine) is Priority: optional, Section: utils.

'dpkg -s' shows section utils, but apt-cache shows section base.
IIRC, dpkg is using the info from the package while apt-cache
is using the info from the Packages file, which is definitive.

> Perhaps there was a good reason for the move to base that I'm not
> aware of? Perhaps it is more necessary on some other platform than
> i386?  I know I've never used fdutils at all in my 6 years of linux
> usage...

I think I formatted some disks with it a few years back.

Perhaps priority extra would be appropriate too? It requires special
hardware (a supported floppy drive - something the m68k Mac port
doesn't have and many hppa systems don't either, for example).

Hamish