Re: Potato -> Woody problems

On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 14:15, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 01:15:38PM +0800, Grahame Bowland wrote:
> > What's the best way to go about tracking this down? A lot of stuff went
> > wrong until I force installed the right libc using plain dpkg, and then
> > ran apt-get -f install. It all seems to be going smoothly now.
> >
> > I'd like to file bugs but I'm not sure if it's the fault of perl, libc
> > or what? Has anyone else had this problem?
>
> Do you have logs of exactly what happened, by any chance? I've seen the
> same problem myself numerous times, but I've not been able to work out for
> sure quite what's wrong, nor been able to duplicate it with minimal test
> installs. If you happen to have an old copy of your /var/lib/dpkg/status
> file (/var/lib/dpkg/status-old or /var/backups/dpkg.status.* possibly)
> from before you upgraded, that might be a big help. A log of what apt did
> when it upgraded your system would help too.

I'll pull the old status file off tape in a sec, and then I'll put them
up somewhere that they can be retrieved. Does apt log its activities
anywhere, my xterm doesn't have that much scrollback! :-)

--
Grahame Bowland                       Email: grahame@ucs.uwa.edu.au
University Communications Services    Phone: +61 8 9380 1175