Re: Will woody ever become stable?

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 03:53:25AM +0100, Jochen Voss wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 08:43:26PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 07:31:04PM -0600, Colin Watson wrote:
> >
> > >   fdutils 96845 106576 111089 121713 serious patch
> > >   Maintainer: Vaidhyanathan G Mayilrangam
> > >     Somebody with a devfs system should NMU this. There's been no
> > >     maintainer upload since 1999, and five NMUs since then.
> >
> > I will do this.
>
> I spent the last hours building a new version of fdutils,
> with fixes not only 96845 106576 111089 121713 (by using MAKEDEV),
> but some other bugs, too.  You can preview my packages at
>
>     http://www.mathematik.uni-kl.de/~wwwstoch/voss/debian/
>
> This is not meant to be a NMU.
> My (long term) plan would be, to take over the package.
> See my separate post.

I skimmed the logs for all of the serious and important bugs against
fdutils, and I didn't see any follow-ups from you.  How long have you been
planning this?  If you want to clean up the package and take it over, why
not start by sending information and patches to the BTS?

I do not think that it would be wise to introduce so many changes to fdutils
when we are trying to freeze.  There is only one release-critical bug
against fdutils, and it can be fixed by a one-character change.

--
 - mdz