Re: Please don't do this (code fragment)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 09:14:51PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> > >  elf> We aren't writing about unsigned arithmetic.
> > >
> > > 	Since you seem to be protesting about people not being nice
> > >  and constructive, a few points of common courtesy called nettiquette:
> > >    a) Do not quote 85 lines to add only one of yours
> > >    b) Do not post your comment on the top followed by quoted material
> > >       below that.
> >
> > These are a matter of opinion.  When I write to you, I will endeavor
> > to follow your rules.
>
> No, these are a matter of etiquette.  These guidelines are widespread, but
> here is one reasonable source:
>
> http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=netiquette&action=Search

What I meant to say was that Manoj's belief that my post broke
netiquette is a matter of opinion.

  a) I left his post intact in order to give sufficient context for my reply.
  b) Sometimes, putting a short sentence at the top of a message is
     appropriate when those who may have seen the post do not need to
     swim through all of the original text to understand the response.

As your reference states:

  "When following up an article, quote the minimum necessary to give
   some context to your reply and be careful to attribute the quote to
   the right person."

It appears that I chose to leave more in place than Manoj wanted to
see.  Sometimes people prune too little.  Other times, too much.

Cheers.