Re: Vanishing /usr/doc symlink

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 11:01:43AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> > /usr/doc has been deprecated for a long time.
>
> The original plan said that base-files would still contain it. Otherwise
> we're in the situation where upgrades from potato will have /usr/doc but
> new installs of woody won't, which in turn means that the script that
> will remove symlinks from inside /usr/doc and migrate to a single
> /usr/doc -> /usr/share/doc symlink won't be as well tested as it should
> be.

What you call the original plan was only a "possibility" and it's not
part of policy (which, btw, is frozen).

We don't need /usr/doc to belong to any package in woody, not even as
a symlink, because we have agreed that all packages in woody should
use /usr/share/doc.

Automatically removing symlinks in /usr/doc during the upgrade from
potato to woody would be tricky. You are free to remove them in your
system, the same way you can move the mail spool from /var/spool/mail
to /var/mail after an upgrade from slink to potato if it bothers you,
but not doing so automatically is the best way to ensure the
robustness of the upgrade, which is much more valuable, IMHO, than the
existence or not of compatibility symlinks in /usr/doc.