Re: pcmcia-modules in woody

Lauri Tischler <lauri.tischler@efore.fi> wrote:

> pcmcia-modules for kernels 2.19 and 2.20 dont exist.

A set of pcmcia-modules-2.2.20 packages do exist.  I uploaded a new set
of these packages yesterday to sid.  As for the packages in woody, I
have no control over that.  I wish the archive maintainers would replace
the outdated packages in woody, but they never do.  If you would like to
help, file bugs against "ftp.debian.org" asking them to move the newer
packages into woody.

If anyone knows how to get packages into woody, please let me know.
It's a complete mystery to me.

madduck@madduck.net (martin f krafft) replied:

> pcmcia-modules have, AFAIK, been discontinued. these days, you have
> to get pcmcia-source and kernel-source, and compile them yourself.
> it's actually a real pain, but with the variety and sheer number
> of kernel-images, it would be impossible to keep up to date on all
> *-modules packages. it seems that alsa-modules is still doing that
> though.

The pcmcia-modules packages have not been discontinued.  I continue to
build packages to accompany the latest kernel-image packages for the
2.2 and 2.4 series kernels.  This means that I have built six packages
for the 2.2.20 kernels and one for the 2.4.17 kernel using the latest
version of pcmcia-cs.

I have neither the time nor the resources, however, to build packages
for all of the kernel-image packages out there (last time I counted
there were 27 of these packages).  Anyone willing to build these
packages is welcome to do so.  I have tried to automate and document the
procedure as much as possible, and I am willing to provide advice and
assistance to anyone willing to try.

Fortunately, some of the maintainers of the kernel-image packages are
nice enough to also build a new pcmcia-modules package to accompany a
new version of their packages.  That certainly helps.

- Brian