Re: About sponsoring non-free packages

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 11:58:23PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 05:05:52PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> >   I'm just telling that asking for a sponsor for non-free
> >   packages is not helping the project.
>
> If the package is useful it is helping the users.
>
> >   I wonder if such people really know that Debian is not only about
> >   technique but also philosophy.  It is the role of sponsors to check
> >   that.
>
> And banning non-free sponsored packages will ensure that sponsors check
> that the newbie maintainer is philosophically in line with Debian?
> That's not non sequitur but it ain't too far off either :)

Well, putting two and two together, I think the original post was actually
regarding a proposed package that allowed source to be distributed with
debian only, which would still put it in non-free, but at least the upstream
authors are prepared to negotiate their code's liberty.

So all may not be as bad as it sounds.

Pete