Re: defining directories with autotools

Hello,

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 05:15:37PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:

> Having all those $*dir's done by automake and autoconf is all fine, but
> how does the program know at runtime what the user entered as argument
> to configure? Say, the program has some datafiles it needs in
> $datadir/program, how does it know that the user typed ./configure
> --datadir=/opt/you/would/not/guess ?

This is something that is more apropos of the auto-* lists.
And guess what: it's been asked there numerous times.  Your
solution is basically the best one that I've seen offered.
I believe there are also some autoconf macros to help out.
See the autoconf list archives, and

  http://ac-archive.sourceforge.net/

-Steve

--