Re: serious bug. Evolution and Microsoft mentality.

Tomas Pospisek's Mail Lists wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Erik Steffl wrote:
>
> > Tomas Pospisek's Mail Lists wrote:

> > > I have yet to find out how to be able to see my inbox as well as all its
> > > subfolders (that's how it's set up on cyrus) from home.
> >
> >   I am not sure if uw-imap supports anything else but mbox format by
>                      ^^^^^^^
>
> Um a bit further down in my original posting I wrote:
>
> * ... yes, the problem is namespacing and that allthough there's a
> * standard it seems that either client (pine) or server cyrus 1.5.x from
>                                                         ^^^^^

  that puzzled me a bit but since you put your comment right under
uw-imap comment I thought you are refering to uw-imap at that point.

> * debian seem to be unable to get things straight between them.
>
> > default and with mbox you cannot have folders that contain message and
> > subfolders (it's one or another). so there's no such thing as inbox and
> > its subfolders.
> >
> >   if you're using maildir and it doesn't work properly then I don't
> > know, haven't tried uw-imap with maildir...
>
> for cyrus INBOX seems to be the root directory. Incoming mail ends up in
> INBOX. Subdirs are created within INBOX.
>
> It might be that I didn't get cyrus the config right but AFAIK it's the
> default setup. But IMHO one should not be required to dig RFCs in depth to
> be able to use a mailclient.

  yes, for cyrus that's the way to go, all the email is in INBOX (which
is user.username). you can put other stuff besides email in the root
directory so the incoming personal email is all in INBOX, at least I
think that's the rationale. I don't like it much either (since I only
have email) but that's how it is. when/if you add e.g. NNTP or shared
folders support you'll be OK with INBOX being there:-)

	erik