Re: serious bug. Evolution and Microsoft mentality.

tpo2@sourcepole.ch wrote:

> Zitiere Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com>:
>
> [1935 lines uselessly quoted]
> >
> > IMO the good solution for this kind of problems is to use IMAP.
> > don't trust MUAs to work with files.
>
> IMO IMAP is still a PITA, AFAIK the only well and out of the box interoperating
> combination of MUA and IMAPd is pine together with uw-imapd which is about as
> configurable as your sunglasses. With other Linux combinations you'll have to

  uw-imap is a good choice for beginner (you only need to apt-get
install it), while it's true that it cannot be configured much (and the
configuration is compile-time) it already provides much better
functionality then file based mail storage (no file access conflicts,
access to email over network (supports ssl), access to other stuff)

  as far as MUAs go I think the new ones have fairly good support for
IMAP (mutt (could be better), netscape, evolution etc.) [I use netscape
and mutt mostly]

> go fiddling with Prefix&|View = INBOX. | INBOX* | INBOX.% | INBOX etc.
>
> IMO nothing for newbies.

  I only have experience with cyrus (with sieve) and it's quite a hell,
it provides almost no feedback, docs are all over the place etc. works
well but very unpleasant to handle. also,the version in debian is
extremely old.

	erik